One of the most powerful and disruptive forces in marketing today is utilizing a multi-channel and integrated marketing campaign.
Recently for my client, World Opportunity Investor Newsletter, we utilized this approach and got an extraordinary response.
In fact, the response won the 2017 Internet Advertising Association’s Best Publishing Integrated Ad Campaign and Internet Marketing Association’s Best Investor Relations Online Campaign, giving my advertising and marketing agency, Creative Direct Marketing Group, a total of 86 awards we’ve won.
This new product launch demanded a 15 step process to achieve success.
- A Multi Channel, Integrated campaign. The starting point of this award-winning campaign has to use a variety of media to the same audience plus create powerful look-a-like audiences.
- The Target Audience. The first part is defining exactly who our target audience was so that we’d be able to use a complex list of new tools that would be able to identify the right audience. Central to this was the use of advanced data modeling which produced an accurate postal and email look-a-like audience. Second, using Google and Facebook’s custom lists, we provided this data which means that we could do an integrated campaign to every prospect that we mail and email to. Plus, we’d be able to create an online look-a-like audience based on transactional data from our postal list.
- Direct response Copy. We used our unique way of using direct response copy. Direct response copy is totally different than advertising or editorial copy. It’s copy that produces persuasion and motivation to spark a response from our prospect. Direct response copy helps create the difference between failure and success.
- Direct response art. Direct response art is the science of eye flow in being able to direct people to the key copy points you want to make. This specialty art is essential otherwise your marketing campaign won’t be as successful.
- Everything has to be accountable using scientific advertising. We have to know what the cost per lead, and the cost-per sale to make an analysis on every single effort of the campaign. Which lists worked? Which did not? Which creative approach worked, which did not? Which subject lines, headlines, and other ailments worked and which did not? And from there, we’d be able to improve the next time out all based on an accountable and scientific advertising system.
- Direct Response landing pages. The foundation of the campaign was the creation of several landing pages, each had a variety of tests. This avoids driving people to corporate home page, which decreases response. Here is one of the World Opportunity Investor Landing Pages.
- Powerful Direct Mail. We created three direct mail formats to be spread over the life of the campaign: (1) envelope mailing, (2) magalog, and (3)newsalog. With all three, we could measure which would produce the best results. In addition, they were spread out in such a way to the same names so that we’re able to continually market to our core audience the messages that we want in a way that kept readership interest and maximum response.
- Data Collection. Building a database of prospects was important. We did so in many ways For example, we used this floater to collect thousands of new prospects!
- Conversion Series. To maximize response, we created a special email series and postal follow-up to leads including floater leads, shopping cart abandonment and sample requests.
- Direct Response Video. We created a direct response video on the landing page. The video was on the landing page but it also had these purposes:
- The video was highlighted in the emails to boost response
- The video was highlighted in the banner adds which would increase response
- The video was highlighted in Facebook which would increase response
- Pre-roll. To the same names we emailed to, used Google TruVue, so that anyone watching a video online that was on our targeted list, would be able to see our pre-roll. It’s a shortened version of our full video. True View is an awesome way to be able to market our target audience with your message.
- Integrated Emails. We utilized emails which, at the appropriate time, highlighted the direct mail pieces that were coming and, in between, highlighted the video, all to the same names.
- Direct Response Integrated Facebook Ads. We ran Facebook ads to the prospects who received the mail (pre-rolls, emails, postal as well). These Facebook ads on the newsfeed produced better response than on the right- hand side.
- Direct Response Integrated Banner Ads. We ran banner ads, which at the appropriate time to the custom list highlighted the receiving of the direct mail but also, like Facebook, emphasized the video at other times as well.
- Digital Look-a-Like Audience. Like direct mail, we used Facebook and Google to create a targeted look-a-like audience based on our data modeled direct mail names. This greatly and profitably – expanded our reach.
- Retargeting. Both to Facebook and to Google, our campaigns had an incredible response.
This comprehensive marketing approach is the ultimate way to increase your profitability.
As with any type of direct response marketing, if one portion of it doesn’t work, you revise or stop it. If it does work, you continue to improve and expand it.
Even though this campaign was launched in 2017, it has already won 2 awards for its marketing excellence. Both from the Internet Advertising Association: Best Publishing Integrated Ad Campaign and Best Investor Relations Online Campaign