Why does some sales copy fail, while other copy creates amazing success? Reasons can vary from readability…to believability….to clarity. The following 7 tips will expand on how to create effective sales copy for direct mail, email, landing pages, video scripts and more.
- Make it readable. Readability can be enhanced by using numbers like “5 shocking facts…”; by double-spacing between paragraphs; subheads; sufficient margins; large enough type; avoiding overuse of all caps; wise use of attention-getting devices; and more.
- Keep sentences and words relatively short. Never write a sentence that takes more than one breath to read. Short words and sentences make for easier reading and copy that flows better. Even one- or two-word sentences can add impact and variety.
- Use varied paragraph length. If all of your paragraphs look the same, the effect will be a boring, unexciting letter. Paragraphs shouldn’t be more than seven lines. Again, very short paragraphs can be effective.
“Challenging? You bet.”
These three separate paragraphs make a memorable input, add extra space for greater readability and make the claim even more believable.
- “Talk” the prospect’s language. Sprinkle your letter with words and phrases your audience understands and relates to. For example, to describe a higher-end food product or service, you would use “savor” and not “devour.”
- Include your offer up front. Don’t make prospects guess what they’ll get for their money. A prospect who has to dig too much will remain just that. Get your offer right up front.
- Utilize emotional copy first; facts, second. Your goal is to have the prospect think: “I’ve got to have this.” Hit benefits hard and write to the heart, not the head. Then meet his or her rational reasons to buy with solid, specific facts.
- Close strongly and clearly. Don’t be wishy-washy. Avoid “If this interests you…” or “We would appreciate.” Instead, use “Don’t wait”… “Order now” …. “Fill out the enclosed form below” … or “Call today.”
If you’re interested in creating more powerful sales copy to sell your product or service, give me a call at (310)212-5727 or email Caleb at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here are the rest of this week’s articles:
The New, Multichannel Integrated Marketing: 28 Trends for Creating a Multichannel, Integrated Campaign to Boost Your Profits Now
The Power of TDM (Transactional Data Matrix): How it Can Transform Your Marketing
7 Common Direct Mail Personalization Blunders