In the mid-2000s, the average pair of jeans cost about $30.
So, when apparel company True Religion burst onto the scene with designer styles that ran $250 to $300 a pair, they had to show the world that theirs weren’t your everyday denim.
To get that message across, they turned to us.
And there is only a handful of things make me as happy as helping turn dreams into reality … taking an entrepreneur and small company and growing it into something huge.
Here’s the story …
The Marketing Challenge
True Religion Jeans was an unknown, start-up company that faced many obstacles to break into the cutthroat, denim clothing market. The challenge was to position the company as a genuine competitor in this ruthless and crowded retail segment.
Our two biggest hurdles?
The cost of True Religion jeans.
And convincing the retail establishment to clear valuable (and expensive) display space in their stores to promote an unknown company with a small marketing budget.
The Creative Solution
We immediately fashioned a Unique Selling Proposition (USP) around the individuality of the clothing line: A healthier, more natural jean where no chemicals were used in its production. We touted that the jeans were finished by hand and it took months to create a single pair. And we stressed phrases like “livable perfection” that elevated the brand from a mere luxury item into an entire lifestyle.
Our creative team of direct response experts, direct response web designers, and direct response artists created:
- The first True Religion website. Incorporating direct response marketing principles of copy and art, we created a powerful image, including the positioning and branding of True Religion jeans. We presented all key selling points in a cohesive, exciting experience for the visitor.
- A persona for the owner by sharing his “True Religion Jeans Story” on the website.
- Data collection, e-commerce, and social media elements to create a full sense of community and excitement.
- A special 3D marketing campaign to high-end retailers was created. (You can read more about this format here.)
- And all the accompanying integrated marketing materials including emails, fliers, ads, inserts, and direct mail pieces.
The True Religion Jeans campaign was one of America’s great success stories.
From a retail point of view, the company was elevated into a highly sought-after brand by retailers.
Today, major luxury retailers, like Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue, and Bloomingdale’s, as well as most high-end retail stores carry True Religion jeans.
In fact, thanks to our positioning, the high cost of the jeans became a plus and played into the current desire for the look and feel of luxury goods. Not only was the higher quality/higher cost accepted, it has transformed the company into one of the most successful and profitable brands in the retail clothing sector.
For consumers, True Religion has become a household name.
The brand has also become a favorite of celebrities.
If you would like to discuss your marketing strategy and approach, give us a call at 615.933.4647 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.