Every month, 3.25 billion hours of YouTube are viewed.
Every campaign I create for clients includes video- both YouTube video and YouTube pre-roll commercials.
YouTube has become a powerful force for marketers reaching all ages…but especially for millennials. For example, many millennials prefer to watch YouTube over traditional cable television.
Ads on YouTube have incredible power and potential to draw in viewers and create powerful sales.
Here’s a list of the top 10 most-viewed ads on YouTube in 2017—and what that says about what consumers love to watch now.
Plus, it could spark some creative ideas for your next video:
1. Samsung India Service (SVC)—We’ll take care of you, wherever you are. #SamsungService
This touching ad for Samsung tells a story of a Samsung serviceman with drama, emotion, and a surprise ending. The ad has been viewed over 150 million times.
The commercial helps brand Samsung as committed, compassionate, and far-reaching. A powerful story.
2. Clash Royale: The Last Second (Official Commercial)
This animated commercial for the popular video game Clash Royale is fun, high-action, and high-drama. At less than 1 minute long, it’s shorter than most, but still pulled in over 111 million views.
3. Ping Pong Trick Shots | Dude Perfect (sponsored by Oreo)
This is an example of an ad that probably didn’t cost too much to make, and yet has incredible reach and excitement, with over 100 million views. It shows the tricks and gimmicks of a group of “regular guys” who do incredible things with ping pong balls.
It’s unique and fun, and proves the fact that ads don’t need to cost millions to make or feature a high-profile celebrity to get plenty of attention.
4. Miss Dior- The new Eau de Parfum
The actress Natalie Portman stars in this ad, which uses excitement and romance to brand the Dior perfume.
The ad targets millennial women who might otherwise dismiss Dior as an old-fashioned or “older” brand. It’s been viewed over 46 million times.
5. Budweiser 2017 Super Bowl Commercial | “Born The Hard Way”
Another powerful and inspiring story. This advertisement for Budweiser beer tells a story of the company’s beginnings, which includes struggle, hardship, and victory.
The commercial is high drama and lends genuine authenticity to the brand. It’s been viewed over 28 million times.
6) 2017 Kia Niro | “Hero’s Journey” Starring Melissa McCarthy
This commercial for the 2017 Kia Niro is funny and dynamic, and features high-profile comedic actress Melissa McCarthy. It brands the Kia as adventurous and accessible, and has received over 26 million views.
7) adidas Originals | ORIGINAL is never finished
This ad for adidas is unique and visually striking, and targets a specific audience. With over 25 million views, it uses powerful visuals to create a new branding for the shoe and sport brand.
8) iPhone 7 — The Rock x Siri Dominate the Day — Apple
This is another powerful story-telling commercial, featuring Dwayne Johnson “The Rock.” It’s comedic, action-packed, and has an international flair.
“The Rock x Siri Dominate the Day” has so far been viewed over 17 million times.
9) Levi’s “Circles” Commercial |Full
This ad for the classic denim and clothing brand features dancers of all ages from all over the world dancing in Levi’s jeans. With over 22 million views, it’s fun, exciting, and inclusive. Plus, the ad has the potential to reach wide audience by branding itself as “global.”
10) Mr. Clean | 2017 Super Bowl Ad | Cleaner of Your Dreams
This video ad cleverly takes an old brand gimmick- “Mr. Clean”- and updates it. The commercial is funny, features “normal” people, and has a surprise ending. “Cleaner of Your Dreams” has been viewed over 17 million times.
The most-viewed ads from 2017 show us a few things:
- Story-telling is still a powerful tactic for grabbing the attention of the viewer.
- People like to laugh. When well done, comedy wins.
- Many of the ads were dynamic and high-action. People will respond to something that promises them adventure.
The stand-out ad for me was the “Ping Pong Trick Shots” ad—it proved that you don’t necessarily need special effects, celebrity, or million-dollar budget to produce a great commercial. Plus, it’s unique and innovative.
I love video—in fact, I started my career in TV commercials and infomercials. We’ve created over 300 videos, including 13 infomercials. If you would like to discuss your video strategy, give me a call at (310)212-5727 or email Caleb at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here are the rest of this week’s articles:
- Infographic: 18 Advertising and Marketing Strategies for 2018 [A Critical Checklist]
- Copy Tip: Presenting Information – in Charts and Graphs – is Absolutely Essential
- Testing Corner: Commonly Used Call to Action (CTA) Put to the Test—an 87.5% Difference!
- FREE WEBINAR— 18 Surprising New Trends for Marketing Investment Products and Services