I love turning dreams into reality, taking an entrepreneur’s small company and growing it HUGE!
That’s what my team and I did with True Religion Jeans.
It’s a great story of a phenomenal marketing breakthrough.
You see, True Religion Jeans was unknown when the owner first talked to me.
What he presented was a huge challenge.
What I told the founder, surprised him – and shocked my staff. It was an unconventional method for how we would create a breakthrough success.
Here’s the story…
True Religion Jeans came to Creative Direct Marketing Group (CDMG) to meet with me and the CDMG creative team. True Religion Jeans wanted to sell high end, quality jeans – and sell them at $150-350 a pair – way above the normal consumer price.
The Marketing Challenge:
True Religion Jeans was an unknown, start-up company that faced many obstacles to break into the cutthroat, denim clothing market. The challenge was for CDMG to position True Religion as a genuine competitor in this ruthless and crowded retail segment.
Two difficult hurdles were overcome to make this campaign successful: Because the jeans cost between $150 and $350 a pair, the first hurdle was motivating the consumer to pay the high cost of the jeans and adopt a new favorite brand in a seemingly saturated marketplace.
The second, and perhaps more difficult, hurdle was convincing the retail establishment to clear valuable (and expensive) display space in their stores to promote an unknown company with a small marketing budget.
The Creative Solution:
CDMG immediately fashioned a Unique Selling Proposition (USP) around the individuality of the clothing line: A healthier, more natural jean where no chemicals were used in its production…touting that the jeans were finished by hand and it took months to create a single pair…and finally, stressing phrases like “livable perfection” that elevated the brand from a mere luxury item into an entire lifestyle.
So CDMG’s creative team of direct response experts, direct response web designers and artists with the support staff created:
- The first True Religion website. Incorporating direct response marketing principles of copy and art, CDMG created a powerful image, including the positioning and branding of True Religion Jeans. All key selling points were presented in a cohesive, exciting experience for the visitor.
- The website included “The True Religion Jeans Story” and the owner became a “personality.”
- Data collection, e-commerce and social media aspects which were used for a full sense of community and excitement.
- A special 3-D marketing campaign to high-end retailers was created.
- Integrated marketing materials including emails, fliers, ads, inserts and direct mail.
The True Religion Jeans campaign was one of America’s great success stories. From a retail point of view, True Religion was elevated into a highly sought-after brand by retailers. Today the brand is carried by major luxury retailers, such as Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue and Bloomingdale’s, as well as most high-end retail stores.
Thanks to CDMG’s positioning, the high cost of the jeans became a plus and played into the desire for the look and feel of luxury goods. Not only was the higher quality/higher cost accepted, it has transformed the company into one of the most successful and profitable brands in the retail clothing sector.
For consumers, True Religion has become a household name. The brand has also become a favorite of celebrities. Not long ago, True Religion Jeans – the start-up – sold for $835 million. Its start-up stock price was 70 cents per share and the accepted purchase price at the time of the sale was $32.00 per share.
If you would like to discuss your marketing strategy and approach, give me a call at (310) 212-5727 or email Caleb at email@example.com.
Here are the rest of this week’s articles:
- 12 Powerful Retargeting Strategies to Supercharge Your Sales
- Testing Corner: Changing Your Email Subject Line to Increase Response
- Copy Tip: Boost Profits by Telling Stories