Even in an online world, direct mail can increase your growth and profitability more than any other media option.
Integrated campaigns using direct mail and digital elements including email campaigns, banner ads, native ads, Facebook ads, Amazon ads and pre-roll commercials all to the same names are the most common campaigns I’m now doing for my clients. And they’re powerful.
But direct mail by itself – without online marketing – can still perform better on a cost-per-lead/cost-per-sale basis vs. digital marketing.
Consumers or B2B marketers use direct mail in several powerful, profitable formats.
- Magalogs – or “infomercials in print” — See video brief below:
- Bookalogs, one of direct mail’s most overlooked response boosters. Bookalogs look and feel like a book — But they are really marketing pieces. See video brief below:
- Or 3-D direct mail, the biggest response generators. They are large boxes sent by FedEx.
- Or a newsalog, which is retro-marketing at its best. This medium looks and feels like a newsletter.
The most traditional type of direct mail I use is an envelope mailing. They may seem “old school” but envelope mailings can dramatically boost your response.
In fact, envelope mailings can be one of your most powerful tools to generating new leads and customers.
Let’s look at a consumer direct mail campaign that I created, and see the tactics that can help you create a winning direct mail envelope campaign.
Success secret #1 – The envelope
The only purpose for an envelope is to compel the prospect to rip it open.
It must stand out. It must motivate your prospect to want to tear it open and see what’s inside.
Look at the envelope my CDMG team and I created for Colorado River Adventures…
The target audience was RV enthusiasts, or RVers. RV parks face intense competition … and Colorado River Adventures is an expensive members-only park.
Look at the envelope. The pre-head copy reads “No alarm clocks. No traffic jams. No rush. No worry.” The main copy reads: “Where would you like to wake up tomorrow?”
Our pictures created the feel and desire that RVers love.
The pre-canceled stamp increased response by 15-20%.
And note the tease for a valuable freebie inside: FREE Inside: 7 Tips guaranteed to make your next RV vacation a fun-filled escape you’ll always remember!
See my video brief on envelopes below:
Success secret #2: The letter
The letter is the most important component of your envelope mailing.
A great letter needs:
- A superscript (copy above the salutation): “Imagine escaping to a spacious, private RV resort … instead of yet another crowded campground…”
- A personality signing the letter
- Short paragraphs, short sentences
- Powerful direct response copy
- A powerful unique selling proposition (USP)
- Powerful direct response art
Take a look at the letter I created for the same piece:
Success secret #3: A value-added piece.
A value-added piece can be a report, an article reprint—anything of objective value.
In this case a “7 tip” check list that doesn’t sell, but just helps … and establishes credibility and relationship.
Success secret #4: An oversized response device.
We provide enough writing space to get them excited. In this case, a 8.5 x 11 response device with persuasive copy.
Success secret #5: An irresistible offer.
In this case, a free, 3-night stay.
Success secret #6: A dedicated landing page.
Never drive the prospect to your website. Instead, send them a clear, dedicated URL that helps create the lead or sale with no navigation and distractions, but tracks with the direct mail. This strategy is a necessary part of today’s direct mail campaigns.
Success secret #7: A video demonstration.
Add new modeling techniques to clone your perfect audience (more accurate than email or online targeting), and you’ve got a winner.
Incidentally, we also created a magalog for Colorado River Adventures. You can see the case study here.
Are you interested in creating a powerful direct mail campaign that can generate new leads and customers? Call me at (310) 212-5727 or email Caleb at email@example.com.
Here are the rest of this week’s articles:
- 10 Great Copy Tips for Online and Offline Marketing!
- Raising Capital? 23 Need-to-Know Marketing Secrets to Equity Crowdfunding
- Direct Mail: The #1 Lettershop Blunder that Could Cost You Thousands
- Video Brief: The Two Most Common Shopping Cart Blunders – Are You Losing Leads and Sales?